Group Classic and the Grand Hotel Villa d’Este present rare treasures from all eras of automobile and motorcycle history under the motto of “Hollywood on the Lake” beside the shores of Lake Como between 25th and 27th May 2018. 51 automobiles and 30 motorcycles and sidecar combinations will feature at the world’s most exclusive and traditional beauty contest for historic vehicles the “Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este”. As every year, the Auto & Design trophy will also be awarded, the trophy is dedicated to the car with the most exciting design.
The selection of the classics nominated for the beauty contest being held beside Lake Como covers all eras of vehicle and film history – from the age of silent film to the era of modern blockbusters. The inimitable character of the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este has a long tradition extending back to the year 1929, when the first vehicle exhibition was held on the shores of Lake Como entitled “Coppa d’Oro Villa d’Este”. This was a showcase for new launches in the automobile sector – and it also had an international focus. The automobiles selected by the Selecting Committee for this year’s beauty contest are presented by owners from 15 countries. Twelve vehicles are in US ownership, seven marques in each case come from Italy and Switzerland. The selected rare treasures originated from a total of 28 different manufacturers between 1909 and 1985.
Here are the eight categories of this year:
1) The Titans: Dirt, Dust and Danger
2) From Manhattan to Mayfair: The Golden Age of Motoring Opulence.
3) Shaped by the Wind: Grandes Routières of the Art Deco Era.
4) New World, New Ideas: The Story of the GT.
5) Speed Meets Style: The Flowering of the Sports -[TC1] Racing Car.
6) 80 Years of Automotive Archaeology.
7) Hollywood on the Lake: Stars of the Silver Screen.
8) When Sex was Safe and Racing was Dangerous: Formula One!